Rare Millville papperweight Circa 1904 .The Steamboat Glen Island was built in 1880 in Philadelphia. She was owned by J.H Starin was 238feet long, had a 35.8 foot beam and displaced 328 tons. She was originally named the William C Eggerton renamed the City Of Richmond and then finally renamed Glen Island.
On December 17th 1904the Glen Island was carrying passengers on its normal excursion route to Glen Island. Just after midnight a fire started below decks. Within five short minutes nine persons had burned to death. Captain Mac Allister ordered the lifeboats launched "Women and children first" The crew made a line and were handing down a small girl when a terror stricken man rushed up and tried to get down first. One of the crew struck him in the face so hard that it sent him reeling backward. By the time all were boarded in the two boat the Glen Island was completely ablaze. Survivors were picked up shortly by the tug boat Bully.
The wreck now sits in15 to 25 feet of water just off Mantinecock Point, only 100 yards from shore. Divers will recognize the partial remains of one paddle wheel as well as low lying wooden ribs.